Under the supervision of the Sergeant - Patrol, the employee performs law enforcement activities on behalf of the City Police Department; performs patrol duties of assigned area;processes civil and criminal papers in accordance with established procedures;provides security for court proceedings; and for special events held within the City; and performs maintenance checks on equipment prior to each shift.
1. Possess a high school diploma or GED.
2. Possess APOSTC certification; passing the written exam with score of 70% or higher.
3. Must be at least nineteen (19) years of age.
4. Must be U.S. citizen.
5. Ability to pass the Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission (APOSTC) Physical Training test prior to hire.
6. Possess a current and valid driver’s license and be insurable.
7. Ability to participate in continuing education activities to maintain certification.
8. Ability to wear appropriate uniforms and safety equipment.
9. Ability to work nonstandard hours and emergency call-backs.
10. Ability to travel.
11. Ability to pass a pre-employment background check, random drug screenings, and psychological testing.
Applications for this position are due to the Human Resources Department by 5 p.m. on Monday, July 6th. Testing for this position will be announced at a later date. Please contact the Human Resources office at 256-299-1117 for more information.
Position: Firefighter Salary Range: $11.64 - 17.95Job Summary:Under the supervision of a Captain or Lieutenant, the employee responds to emergency calls, extinguishes fires, rescues victims, and ensures emergency scene is left in proper condition. The employee provides assistance in medical emergencies according to the level of certification and established Fire Department policies and procedures.
2. Possess certification and able to maintain Alabama Firefighter I/II or equivalent certification.
3. Possess and maintain current CPR certification.
4. Possess a current and valid driver’s license and be insurable.
5. Ability to complete the following additional certifications through the Alabama Fire College (AFC) or equivalent within a prescribed time frame:
• Rapid Intervention Team
• Fire Apparatus - Aerial and Pumper
• Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations
• Rescue Technician certification – Rope I
6. Ability to work non-standard work hours.
7. Ability to be on call twenty-four (24) hours a day seven (7) days a week.
8. Ability to travel for training.
9. Ability to pass a pre-employment background check and random drug screens.